Bringing Souls to Christ in Bixby "The Garden Spot of Oklahoma"

Praise be to God

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fasting from Dessert: Day 1 of 40

Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert. This year during lent I have committed to fasting from dessert. One of my main cravings is ice cream followed closely by certain kinds of pie with a cup of coffee. Another favorite morning treat is candy (chocolate of course) and my morning coffee (can we see a trend, perhaps next year I need to give up coffee).

Today began my lent experience. It is my hope that when these cravings hit, I will be reminded how many in the world wish they had a real meal to sustain them, dessert not being in their wildest dreams.

 And so today it began. The day before Valentines Day (That's right, no candy tomorrow for me). But temptation struck much sooner than I expected. My morning coffee ritual was already difficult enough, and then I received a phone call from someone inviting me to eat lunch with them. I accepted, and they chose Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Store. There I sat with my grilled chicken salad, fat free/light Italian dressing, and water, surrounded by pictures of the most marvelous looking "sundae's" one could imagine (speaking of Sundays when one gets to rejoice in the resurrection, I may be traveling to Braum's), I could not help but find my setting a bit humorous, yet the seriousness of the hurting and starving people of the world quickly erased the humor, opened my eyes, and changed me. Thank you LORD for this  first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment