Bringing Souls to Christ in Bixby "The Garden Spot of Oklahoma"

Praise be to God

Friday, February 15, 2013

Fasting from Dessert: Day 2 of 40


Jesus spent 40 days fasting in a desert. I am spending 40 days fasting from dessert. Making the decision to share this information openly was something I prayed and considered at length beforehand. In one respect I believe such times of "fasting" should be of a private nature. Further, since lent is not something I am accustomed to engaging in, it is likely I am not going “by the books”.  However, I have gained great encouragement from others who share their experiences as disciples, and it is my hope and prayer these short reflections will be beneficial to someone. 

Day 2: Valentine's Day...A day for which we show our love through candy, candy, and more candy. Chocolate is a particular favorite of many on this day. In fact, some would say chocolate is an essential element to the holiday. For the first time I can remember in my life, I did not have one piece of candy on this day. Some might question if they can live through a Valentine’s Day without some form of candy. I wondered this very thing, but found the answer to be, YES. You actually can survive the day.

My reflection from today’s experience -- Life went on without candy. Life does not go on without proper nutrition. As we live in our "land" of plenty, let us never forget the "others" who live in the "land" of need.

God please touch us who have plenty so that we might reach out to those who are in need. Forgive us this day where we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. Through Christ, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment